Thursday 5 May 2016

Shoot 10 - Work Diary

Evaluation

Throughout the Beauty topic, I have nearly always conformed to ways in which the beauty industry is shown to be driven by females. This is not always a bad thing, as most of the time it is females who use the products in which I am photographing (makeup). However, in looking at styles of photography online, I wanted to subvert the expectations and take a shoot which showed the male form and the effect that having glitter on a male body would have on an audience. Therefore, in this shoot I opted to use a shirtless male and spray him in glitter. I wanted to follow portraiture in the style of Mapplethorpe, who uses dark shadows but enhances the male form effectively. I did this in the studio, using studio lights and camera settings as follows. I used a shutter speed of 1/125seconds, aperture f/20 and an ISO of 400. This allowed me to create images that were darker and conformed to the work produced by Mapplethorpe. The dark shadows that came from the lighting and the positioning allowed certain parts of the body to be highlighted. For example, the light on the face is much brighter than the soft light on the body.

In Photoshop, quite a lot of editing went into these images to make them softer and to also brighten them up. The first thing that I changed on the image was the Levels and the Curves. By doing this, I was able to make it brighter in some areas but also make the shadows stronger in others. Secondly, I changed the vibrance on the image to make it stronger and therefore for the colours to come out in the images. The final thing that I changed in regards to the colour of the image was by adding a colour filter of a Cool Blue (80 on Photoshop). The reason I chose to do this was to make the image feel more sophisticated and stylish, as sometimes I feel the colour on the skin looks too orange with the colour of the light. The image also did not pick up on the glitter with just the studio lights, and therefore with a colour filter the blue is radiated onto the glitter. Below, I have shown two images with the one on the Right being edited and the first being the original.

                                 



















Progression
As I do not feel like the femininity was as strong as anticipated in this shoot. I want to adapt this and do a different style of photography. One shoot which I came across online featured Colton Haynes being photographed by Tyler Shields. This shoot subverts the stereotypes of the Male Gaze as it shows the model being clung to by a female who has given him love bites and outlines of her lipstick over his face. He is also being pulled about with his tie to show his lack of dominance. I aim to make this my most challenging shoot to do as I want to make it a self portrait shoot. I will have the camera on a tripod and set up the lighting myself - by then placing myself in the frame.




No comments:

Post a Comment