Wednesday 11 May 2016

Overall Evaluation

When I transitioned from AS to A2 level photography, my aim for this personal project was to conform to the conventions shown in the Beauty industry but also challenge them when I felt like I had succeeded in doing so. The first shoot I did was in the studio, and I developed my ideas of the previous years work by using colour gels. This shoot allowed me to explore a range of technical ideas, however due to it being the first shoot of its kind in which I have done, I struggled with using my originality and also experimenting with my models. I wanted to explore a range of different shoots and enhance my different lighting techniques. I also wanted to conform my work to my beauty topic, and I want to look at developing my style and creativity. For example, I wanted to use a range of different props such as glitter. My next shoot was going to feature different accessories which I will stick to the face to highlight different areas like I have studied in my photography research. 

During my next shoot, I decided to do the same type of shoot by placing accessories on models, but instead I want to follow the work of Elisabeth Hoff who I studied in my photographer research and place it on males. By doing so I hope to subvert the stereotypes and make a feminine aspect of beauty on a masculine figure. I will do this through different coloured backdrops and emphasising the face with the gel lighting. Therefore, I used a male in my class and placed glitter over him. This shoot was effective in regards to the colours that I explored and the way I adapted my gel lighting. Following on from this, In my next shoot I used diamond gems with more relation to the beauty industry. I used a range of different close up and portraiture images within this. I wanted my work to draw similarities to that of Rankins, with high key lighting and a smooth complexion. My aims were also to learn how to airbrush on Photoshop properly without losing pores and making sure that my image is cleaner and more crisp. I feel like the work of Rankin influenced me a lot in the beginning of my work, and I had stronger ideas to take smooth and cleaner images.

In the next couple of shoots, I wanted to use the same model - but experiment with this style of beauty photography with different colours. I wanted to see if the difference in colours, for example - using a yellow to exhibit happiness and using a blue to exhibit calm and tranquility. Would change the emotions that came off. To progress from this, I used the knowledge which I have taken from the two previous shoots with Connie and applied them to work that you would find in a magazine. Having looked up campaigns for MAC and Anastasia Beverly Hills, I analysed the different shots that they use and the way in which they situate their models while highlighting the product they are trying to sell. I took on board the different positioning of the model. This was successful as I feel like my images did develop in such a way which led me on to being more creative about the themes of the beauty industry. Therefore, I aimed to subvert the stereotypes and Laura Mulvey's Male Gaze, and use men in these situations instead of women. I planned to use a topless male, and take pictures of him while he is sprayed in glitter - a stereotypical female object. Instead, I tried to subvert expectations and use a male in the situation of a woman. I hoped this will create an effective shoot, and I tried to experiment by enhancing the male form. I feel like the development of my work from this point onwards was strong as I was able to conform to the expectations of the beauty industry but I had challenged them several times along the way.

As I did not feel like the femininity was as strong as anticipated in this shoot. I then aimed to adapt this and do a different style of photography. One shoot which I came across online featured Colton Haynes being photographed by Tyler Shields, an american model and actor. This shoot subverts the stereotypes of the Male Gaze as it shows the model being clung to by a female who has given him love bites and outlines of her lipstick over his face. He is also being pulled about with his tie to show his lack of dominance. I succeeding in making this my most challenging shoot to do as I wanted to make it a self portrait shoot. 

Overall, after studying the beauty industry and creating shoots which I feel all conform to the views of the beauty industry, I decided to challenge the conventions of the topic and instead place a male in the scene. I feel like this is one of my best pieces of work since AS, (the self portrait shoot) as the shoot overall was really successful. It allowed me to learn how to edit and airbrush on Photoshop to conform to the industry, but also challenge this. By placing myself in the frame, I was also able to learn how to take self portraits and teach myself new ideas. It allowed me to see how it felt to be airbrushed and edited in away, where myself was instead was how the industry would want me to look. This photography unit has opened my eyes in terms of the work that goes into the Beauty industry, and making it one of the leading aspects of photography. 

No comments:

Post a Comment