Wednesday 11 May 2016

Shoot 11 - Work Diary

Evaluation

By looking back at my old shoots, I aimed to make this one of the hardest shoots I have ever done in regards to the structure and also ensuring it went well. This was also a self portrait shoot, in which I took images of myself. The reason I wanted to do this was to edit it, and see what it was like having my own face be edited to conform to the high standards in the beauty industry. For example, smoothing out the skin and removing blemishes. Making the shape of the face slightly thinner and longer is also a technique used commonly by the Beauty industry in order to give models the 'perfect figure'. In this shoot, I placed the camera on a tripod directly in front of where I would be standing. I got another person in the shot around the same height as me, which allowed me to check that the studio lighting would laminate the entire frame. I used a white background, giving the image clarity and also making it brighter with the lights reflecting on the backdrop. I then got in the frame and took several images to check that I liked the lighting, and I then placed the makeup on me to conform to the same style in the Colton Haynes shoot. In this image below, it is my favourite from the shoot as it explores the way in which the theory of the Male Gaze has changed and instead conforms to the Female Gaze. This allows me to look into the perception of males in the beauty industry, and create images which place women in the dominant role.

The above image is my favourite from the shoot, as I feel it is one that could be shown on the front cover of a magazine. After studying the beauty industry and creating shoots which I feel all conform to the views of the beauty industry, I decided to challenge the conventions of the topic and instead place a male in the scene. I feel like this is one of my best pieces of work since AS, as the shoot overall was really successful. It allowed me to learn how to edit and airbrush on Photoshop to conform to the industry, but also challenge this. By placing myself in the frame, I was also able to learn how to take self portraits and teach myself new ideas. It allowed me to see how it felt to be airbrushed and edited in away, where myself was instead was how the industry would want me to look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment