Friday 29 April 2016

Shoot 9 - Work Diary

Evaluation

In this shoot, I decided to take my model and compose images which composed much more to the front cover of magazines - or advertisements for Beauty and hair products. Due to this, I had to set up the studio in a different way by using studio lighting. This consisted of a range of lights including a Beauty dish, which shone down at at the model to make her face appear more natural. I also used a soft box to light up her hair and to illuminate her clothing. Behind the model I had one studio light highlighting the back of her, and I had to ensure the model was placed directly in front so that it would not be visible. My camera settings involved a shutter speed of 1/100 and an f stop of 25. My ISO was set at 400 which is the amount light sensitivity. As a result of these settings and the positioning of the lights, I managed to come up with images that I found to be striking. With the gold leaf, lips and eyelids standing out amongst the rest of the image. I used the sharpening tool in Photoshop, which allowed me to make the gold leaf crisper and also enabled texture to make it more realistic and less airbrushed. I removed blemishes from the models face and flaws, to make it smoother and conform to the standards expected of the beauty industry. This includes a blemish free skin with an even tone, and a slim face.



There are some images in my shoot which aren't so good due to the way in which the lights were positioned. In some of my images, there is a lack of light and dark shadows underneath the models chin. This creates a dark space, which although creates shadows and gives the image form - it also leaves part of the models body completely blacked out - which blends it into the background. If I was to do a shoot like this again, I would use a reflector underneath which would bounce some of the light off and under to light that part of the models body.


Progression

In my next shoot, I aim to subvert the stereotypes and Laura Mulvey's Male Gaze, and use men in these situations instead of women. I plan to use a topless male, and take pictures of him while he is sprayed in glitter - a stereotypical female object. Instead, I will try and subvert expectations and use a male in the situation of a woman. I hope this will create an effective shoot, and I will try and experiment with also highlighting the male form.


No comments:

Post a Comment