Friday 5 February 2016

Shoot 7 - Work Diary

Evaluation

During Shoot 7, I had an ambition in my head to create images which were striking. The way I opted to do this was by using a black background, highlighting the back of my model with a red colour gel on each side - and using strong makeup. In this shoot, I set up the studio so that I had two lights behind the model at either side - but so that they were slightly in the shot. This enabled me to get the flare of the light in some images. I positioned the model in front of the lights and the black backdrop. In front of the model, I decided to use a beauty dish above her shining down. This creates a natural skin tone and makes her face appear more natural. It also eliminates the harsh tones and the shadows which come from the Red colour gels I placed over the lights at the back. Underneath the beauty dish, I placed a soft box facing upwards. This highlighted the clothing of the model so that she didn't fade out in the shot and blend into the background. I placed my camera on manual, with a f/16 and a shutter speed of 1/100.

One of my favourite images from the shoots is this one. The composition of the image creates a mysterious feeling among the audience who see the model looking away from the audience - however, one of the reasons I like this so much is that she is looking down. This emphasises her makeup and is also a different way of positioning the model to work I have done before. The colour is extremely vibrant on the models hair - which sets her aside from the background. Red is the strongest colour, which is a huge contrast to the black background. This has been exaggerated through the models Red clothing, and her black and red beaded lips.


Another one of the images I like from this shoot is this one below. It shows Connie situated on a white background, with little evidence of any colour gels present. I decided to make the model appear vulnerable in this shot - and I did so by creating a mid shot. By doing so, we are able to see more of the model being alone in the shot. She is creating a positive relation with the audience as she is staring directly at the camera. I feel like tying the models hair up, makes her appear more vulnerable which is enhanced by her sombre facial expression. I love the strong contrast between this image and the others in the shoot, and if I was to use the red colour gels again I would create more images like this. 


Progression
In the next shoot, I want to use the same model - but experiment with this style of beauty photography with different colours. I want to see if the difference in colours, for example - using a yellow to exhibit happiness and using a blue to exhibit calm and tranquility.

1 comment:

  1. here you have a strong series of images within your straight images and work diary.. the visual recording is better for this post than the previous one. There is a high level of critical understanding of lighting techniques and good analysis of the outcomes.

    ReplyDelete